Skip to main content

Cloudy with a Chance of Flexibility

It's dark and rainy outside, late November and the outside thermostat reads somewhere around 70 degrees.
Somehow none of these elements seem to fit together to create a "typical November" and its definitely not the ingredients you stir up for "Holiday cheer". Or is it?
We become so dependent on how things typically look or play out that we abandon the opportunity for surprise. So, what its warm and rainy and Thanksgiving is 2 days away. Yah, I like it to be a bit cooler during the holidays. I mean your supposed to be wearing a hoodie and cozying up by the fire with the ones you cherish the most during the holidays right? But, on the other hand because the weather has been a bit fickle this year (we are in GA folks) we have had more opportunity to admire the changing of the leaves before they get frost bite and just fall to their death. :)
In my life the past few months I have looked around at things and posed a plethora of questions to the One who has all the answers...in fact, He himself is THE answer. I've asked Him why I do certain things, where certain idiosyncrasies originated in my life and what the heck am I really living for day to day. Sometimes I look around and feel like in my personal life its late November and with warm & dreary weather. But, is that really a bad thing or is has my perspective been limited to just what other seasons have looked like in the past?
Things may not always line up the way that you thought they would. The weather man may have ill-predicted  the current forecast of your life, but life must go on and you were meant to live it to the fullest!
Good thing they make rain boots, snow galoshes, flip flops, combat boots, TOMS, high heels and tennis shoes. We just have to expand our wardrobe for the appropriate weather. :) Instead of embracing frustration when things seem to be playing out the opposite of what you expected/desired....embrace flexibility. Allowing God to speak to you and grow closer to Him through every season. Take those times to appreciate the beauty He is creating in you before the next set of leaves begin to bud.
And when its warm & raining in November, take advantage of it and go play in the rain.

Comments

  1. It's 72 and raining as I type. But, taking advantage of it at 1:03 AM? *yawn* I'll wait and see if it's still warm and raining tomorrow. Love your blogs & love you my daughter. Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff Jenny B! It's amazing the impact that our perspective has on the outcome of every one of life's crazy situations.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Relationship status: LOVED

Song of Solomon 8:4 reads, " 4 Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you: Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires." In the Jenny B translation that would read... DON'T JUMP IN FRONT OF CUPIDS ARROW IF IT WAS NOT AIMED AT YOU! I was spending time on Facebook and Twitter this morning and of course I expected the Timelines to be inundated with genuine Valentines AND sarcastic Single Awareness "I'm not the only one alone today" shout outs. But, the more I read the more I started thinking about this thing called romance & silly concept of Cupid. It's funny how some are so lonely that instead of celebrating LOVE from all sources, (i.e. God, family, friends, ect.) on Valentines Day they mourn the fact that they dont have a "Valentine". Its the typical story of "focusing on what you feel don't have instead of what you really DO have". So, maybe your relationship status still reads "SINGLE"...you have to realize that

Rambling Contentment

The months of October and November for me were full of conferences, preaching, church events, house-sitting, friends going through crisis' & work.....lots of work. Out of sheer stress I told a friend on the week leading up to our trip to Nicaragua, "If I had known how crazy my  month was gonna be, I probably wouldn't have agreed to go on this trip".  It's in moments like those, that I am so glad we don't "know" everything. It's just like God to bring us a refreshment that is disguised in serving others, when we ourselves feel we have nothing left to give. I just kept reminding myself that God's grace is sufficient and that He would supply my every need. On November 17, 2012 myself and 16 others headed to Hartsfield-Jackson airport to jump on a plane and head to Nicaragua. I had the honor of being the Pastoral Lead on our youth ministries first Missions Trip. Once we hit the airport reality set in for me, "Holy Lord, lik

The Beautiful Mess

***I am writing this at 3am. I am sure there are a plethora of run on sentences and grammatical errors...sue me*** When I was growing up, I used to love to rearrange my room. I started this process at a very young age (like elementary school). It wasn't just the furniture that I would change up either; I would rearrange the photos, the endless posters of Jonathan Taylor Thomas and every other BOP, Teen Bop and Tiger Beat heart throb of the late 90's that was taped onto my walls. :) I seriously, probably kept Scotch tape in business back then. :) *You're welcome Scotch*. This rearranging would happen quite often, were talking every couple months, but no less than 2 times a year. Me and my childhood best friend Sarah (who happens to have a great blog "The Lovely Life"....you should follow) would help give each others room their regular "face lifts". The need for new and exciting is a part of my personality. I get bored easy when I see the same thing day